January 24, 2014

Eggshell Calcium and being sick...

A couple weeks ago I made some eggshell calcium from the farm fresh eggs that we get. I thought it would be easy to add it to smoothies or oatmeal but I was soooo wrong. It's gritty and tastes like tiny rocks, not my kind of fun if you ask me! I would much rather find a different way to take this awesome form of calcium... 


I decided capsules are the best idea! 1 tsp is about 1,000mg of calcium, I fit 1/4 tsp in each capsule. I plan on taking 4 a day at separate times to make sure I get enough calcium. I will take less if I know I'm getting plenty from my food. 

I made this awesome stuff like I said from cage free, locally raised eggs that we get from a friend. I took an 18 pack of eggshells and made sure they were all washed out from the extra egg whites that sometimes get left behind but I made sure not to wash out the membrane of the shell. I then I boiled the shells for about 10mins to make sure they were really clean and then let them dry for 48 hours because you don't want any liquid in your powder. 

After 48 hours I put the eggshells into my food processor, that didn't work out too well... It was still very chunky. So I put them in the coffee grinder and that did the trick! I got a fine powder! I put that in a little container and I was done! 

When filling the capsules today I got about 100 or so of them from the 18 eggshells which is pretty dang good in my eyes! Now I can actually take these things without feeling like I have rocks in my teeth! 

Why eggshell calcium!? 
Because it's from a natural source the body can absorb is so much better. Also, what is more paleo then eggshells? You don't have to worry about all the added ingredients you find in store bought brands. Mostly all store bought brands are also not from a natural source let alone organic so I feel so much better about taking eggshells. 

*Don't forget to get good quality eggs if you are planning on doing this because the better the quality the less pollutants the shell is likely to have. Try to seek out cage free, local eggs versus generic store  brand eggs, there is a big difference!*

Now on to other subjects... This girl is sick again... 
3rd time this pregnancy and every time has been equally crappy!! 
Some natural remedies I always go to are... Apple cider vinegar, raw garlic, raw honey, extra vitamin D, and elderberry syrup. My new additions have been Theives oil and bone broth. 

My routine usually consists of... Warming up some water and making an apple cider vinegar (about 1tbs or more) tea with raw honey in it, it makes it taste so much better instead of just shooting vinegar by itself! Then with the garlic I just chop a clove or 2 into small pieces and swallow them which is disgusting but very worth it! I add extra D to my daily vitamins, I usually take 6,000iu every other day but while I'm sick I take it daily! Lastly I take a shot of elderberry syrup twice a day with juice, elderberry is a natural form of vitamin c so it always seems to do the trick! 

Lastly, now I make soup out of bone broth to help with recovery and when I don't want to eat, soup is always nice. This is the kind of chicken noodle soup your mom talks about that will make you better when you are sick because it has all the nutrients in it from the bones! Then comes the Theives oil! This stuff is awesome, it's naturally antibacterial and antifungal. It can pretty much kill anything. I put 2 drops on each foot before bed to help my immune system while I sleep! It seems to do the trick! 

Are there any natural remedies that you use in your house? Anything I'm missing? 
Tell me what you think! 
Ask me some questions I would love to answer them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment