April 21, 2014

Week 1 of my Whole 30

Whole 30 Day 1:

Breakfast:
Cube Steak, 2 eggs, sauerkraut, avocado, strawberries
Lunch:
Flank steak, Salad (spring mix, tomato, avocado, bell pepper, and carrot) Tessemae Balsamic Vinegar dressing.
Snack:
Trader joe's sardines, plantain chips, and blueberry larabar
Dinner:
Pork loin, brussels sprouts, and green beans with ghee and a handful of mixed dry roasted nuts.



Day 2:

Breakfast:
diced sweet potato, ground beef, kale, 1 egg cooked in coconut oil, 3 strawberries and a small handful of dry roasted nuts. Also, my morning cup of decaf coffee and bottle of water.
Lunch:
leftovers! Pork, brussels srouts topped with ghee, and baby belly peppers. 
Dinner:
Grilled chicken, cauliflower mashed 'potatoes' with ghee, and collard greens sautéed with onions and mushrooms garlic infused olive oil (seriously soooo delicious!!) 
Snacks: 
watermelon and a handful of dry roasted cashews. Oh and I had a few plantain chips while I was cooking dinner!



Day 3: 

Breakfast: 
(almost the same as yesterday!) cube steak, sautéed kale, sweet potato and mushrooms in coconut oil. 1 large egg, a side of watermelon and of course my cup of decaf coffee! 
Lunch: 
A big ole salad again bell pepper, grape tomato, cucumber, avocado, spring mix and romaine. I put Italian seasoned ground beef on top. 
Dinner: 
Cauliflower mashed potatoes, salmon steak and bagged mixed veggies. 
Snacks: 
banana and almond butter, a handful of carrots, a little bit of pork and leftover brussels sprouts. 


Day 4: 

Breakfast: 
Once again! Sweet potato, mushroom, kale  ground beef sautéed in lard with an egg on top! I had about a cup of watermelon with it as well. With my cup of decaf with some coconut milk in it. 
Lunch: 
2 applegate farms beef hotdogs, sauerkraut, mixed veggies, and half an avocado. 
Dinner: 
Chicken from the whole chicken I made in the crockpot, sweet potato, and collard greens and mushrooms sautéed in garlic olive oil.
Snacks:
 trader joes sardines, some baby carrots, 3 strawberries and a handful of mixed dry roasted nuts. 


Day 5: 

Breakfast: 
cube steak and 1 egg cooked in lard, green beans, sweet potato with cinnamon, and a small gala apple. Also, as always, my cup of coffee with some coconut milk in it.
Lunch: 
(whole 30 fail... The tots I'm pretty sure had some ingredients I shouldn't have) we went out to lunch in Baltimore so I tired my best... A chicken sandwhich with no bun and extra lettuce. Had the chicken topped with old bay seasoning and then a side of sweet potato tots and lastly a side of avocado which isn't pictured.
Dinner: 
Another big salad! Avocado, tomato, bell pepper, spring mix, romaine, and tessemae balsamic vinegarette. A side of chicken with paprika, salt, and pepper. 
Snacks: 
Trader joes sardines, a handful of carrots, a handful of dry roasted cashews 


Day 6: 

Breakfast:
 Cube steak, one egg, sautéed sweet potato, kale, beets in lard. Also had a side of black grapes with my coffee and coconut milk.  
Lunch: 
Homemade salmon cakes, mixed stir fry vegetables cooked with ginger. Snacked on some carrots and a banana with cashews as I did meal prep. 
Dinner: 
Lamb steak, sweet potato with ghee, and roasted asparagus. 
Snacks: 
made some plantain chips and tried a few of those, 3 baby peppers and 3 strawberries and some macadamia nuts.


Day 7: 

Breakfast: 
2 eggs cooked in coconut oil, Italian seasoned ground beef, green beans, half an avocado and strawberries. Also my cup of coffee with coconut milk.
Lunch: 
shredded chicken, spaghetti squash with ghee, and beets roasted with coconut oil. 
Dinner: Beef pot roast, sweet potato, spaghetti squash, broccoli all covered with ghee. 
Snacks: 
Trader joes smoked sardines and a blueberry larabar. Also after my workout I had a handful of homemade plantain chips. 



There were a lot of ups and downs to this week. The first 3 days were for sure the worst. Even the night of day 3 I had dreams about eating dark chocolate and pizza and having wine. It was crazy for sure. I think I have now 'killed the sugar dragon' though which feels amazing. If you read It Starts With Food before you start your whole 30 journey it helps a lot. It helped me get more of an idea of the things I would go through mentally and all the recipes in the book are awesome too!  
I have been sleeping better and for sure have more energy. Also, Olivia no longer spits up at all and has so much less gas. Knowing this it gives me that much more motivation to keep this journey going as long as possible. 
The first 3 days I also felt so hungry and felt like I could never get enough food. At day 7 though I finally feel satisfied and I'm actually eating less. It's crazy how fast your hormones level out when you are eating the right things.
I did have a little bit of a cheat and had sweet potato tots which probably had some kind of starch in them and bad oils but I will make sure not to make that mistake again. You can't obsess about the mess up, just move on and that's just what I'm doing! 
Overall I'm really enjoying this experience and it's really helping me get back into the paleo mindset which I needed. I started my workout plan today as well so next week I will be able to write more about what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you're already back to workouts and eating really well. I may have to do something like you're doing after my daughter is born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As a family we found our routine very fast after the baby so it has made things really easy for us :) Also we have been blessed with a pretty laid back baby so we got lucky there too! When your little one comes I bet you will be surprised about how fast things fall into place and how fast you get back to your normal habits.

      Delete