April 24, 2014

Whole 30 Meatloaf and Plantain Chips

Plantain Chips

Going through my first whole 30 I wanted to make some of my favorite foods! I'm totally obsessed with the Terra vegetable chips so I needed something new to feed my craving for them. I got some trader joe's plantain chips which were heavenly but I couldn't keep buying a ton of those. So…. I decided to make my own! First I tried them in the oven and well… almost all of them came out burnt or partly burnt. So I decided to try them in the dehydrator and it worked amazingly! 

First, I found a great sale on plantains at the store (5 for $2) 

What You'll Need: 
5 or more plantains
Mandolin or sharp knife 
Sea Salt 
Dehydrator

I cut of the ends of each plantain and placed a long slice down one side of the plantain skin and popped the plantain out of the skin! Next, I used my mandolin to evenly cut up the plantains. 



After they were all cut up I placed them in a single layer on the dehydrator plates. Sprinkled them all with salt and I turned the dehydrator on at 155 degrees. It took about 12hrs to completely dry them out.   


Now I have great on the go snacks for the rest of my whole 30! 5 plantains filled a quart size storage bag. It probably would have been more but I have a bad habit of tasting along the way while they dehydrate! oops! 



Whole 30 Meatloaf 



The Loaf: 
2lbs Grassfed Ground Beef
1 Small Sweet Onion 
1/2 Cup Gated Carrots
2 Large Eggs
1Tbsp Ghee 
1/2Tbsp Basil 
1/2Tbsp Thyme 
1/2Tbsp Rosemary 
1/2Tbsp Garlic
1/2Tbsp Pepper 
1tsp Salt 

The Sauce: 
1 Can of Muir Glen Tomato Sauce 
1 1/2Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar 
1/2tsp dry mustard
1/8tsp cayenne pepper 
1/8tsp cinnamon 

I prepped by putting foil over a medium sized baking pan and spread the tablespoon of ghee on the foil then pre heated the oven to 375F. 

First I mixed up the ingredients for the 'ketchup' sauce. Then I took all the ingredients for the loaf and mixed them into a big bowl. Also I added half of the sauce recipe to the mixture. Next I mushed together everything into a log. 
Lastly I spread the rest of the sauce on top of the loaf and popped it into the oven for an hour! 



Before the Oven!

Fresh out of the Oven




I made cauliflower mashed potatoes and asparagus for sides. Can you say comfort food?!?! It was amazing!

Let me know how you guys like it!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment