August 7, 2014

Working at home.... No Excuse Style

One thing that I haven't talked about much is my workout schedule. Lets just say it has changed... A LOT. Turning from a Crossfitting, Oly lifting, train all day kind of girl to a stay at home mom with no gym membership has been one of the hardest adjustments for me. I have thankfully made it through and found some things that work for me.

A lot of moms have trouble finding the time to workout. Through my No Excuse Mom group I have found there is really no excuse... EVER.
Here are things I have learned...
- Excuse: My baby is awake during my workout... so... put your baby carrier on and do the workout with them, the extra weight will just give you a better workout!
- Excuse: My baby only wants to be held... ok... hold your baby, do lunges, squats, presses, calf raises with your baby, you will be glad you did it after!
-Excuse: I don't have any equipment... couches, chairs, steps, and babies are all equipment... use them. dips, push ups, squats, stretches, you can do it all!
Excuse: I have never worked out before.... thats totally ok, everyone has to start somewhere! Start by doing some squats every day, and add a little each week. You will get there before you know it!
Excuse: I don't have time... yes you do.... if you are cleaning the house, wear your baby, I promise you will sweat. Do some calf raises while doing dishes, squat every time you pick up the baby, lunge from the couch to the kitchen instead of walking. You can make it happen, I promise!
Excuse: My baby started crying so I didn't finish my workout... you can come back to it, I promise it's not going anywhere! Save it for nap time, you got this!

Here is how I did it....
First off, thanks to instagram, I found an amazing lady that does at home programs. Her blog is Mom with Muscle. Her programs aren't easy and they do kick your butt. Efitmama Bikini Body Program was the first program/workout routine I started post baby. We just moved to Maryland so I didn't know anyone. I worked out with Olivia in the basement every morning. I stuck to the program, and it was amazing for me. The last week I became bored though... not of the program itself but of working out alone, it is NOT my thing.


Since I got bored I needed to find a new routine asap. I called around to gyms and tried to find a place with childcare for babies under 6 months... I had no luck. I did more searching and from the grace of God I found a local group... No Excuse Moms Ft. Meade! These moms met 3 days a week in the park for workouts, it was just what I needed to get back on track. So even though I was totally out of my comfort zone (I DO NOT do well meeting new people) I went. These ladies were amazing, so welcoming and NO JUDGEMENT! I couldn't believe it.

Since May I have been committed to going to my NEM's group and getting my butt kicked by Tabata workouts and Pilates type workouts. It has been great to see the group grow and double and triple in size. We have so much fun and the positive vibes are amazing.

Now this last 2 weeks, I have been feeling like I haven't been getting enough from my workouts. So I decided once again to find something new....

This time it was within my NEM's group. I saw that some of the ladies would run before the workouts. I DO NOT run, I didn't want to start either. Then I remembered that I promised myself that I would try new things this year... so this is where it started. We would run a mile or 2 before the workouts.
Now we run on tuesdays and thursdays when there is no workout. I'm starting to get the hang of this whole running thing, and I love it, even with a stroller. (omg... I can't believe I'm saying that!) Last week we did a total of 10 miles and this week we are on track to do it again.

Yeah, I still have days where I miss the Crossfit gym, I miss lifting heavy and getting my butt kicked by a really hard Hero WOD but I have to realize right now isn't the time. The time will come when I can make Crossfit my life again and until then I will enjoy my journey.

The moral to my story is... Change is a good thing.

If you want to buy a few things for your home workouts... these are the things I would personally suggest you get...
- Yoga Mat
- Exercise Ball
- Light dumbbells (5-10lb)
- Resistant bands
- If you are fancy some TRX straps (we got these given to us and they are super nice!)
** You don't have to spend a fortune either... check out TJmaxx, Ross, and Marshall's they always have all of the above items for cheap!** 

Working out with minimal equipment is very possible, I have gotten some better workouts with nothing in these last 3 months then in a fully equipped gym.  Also, I don't feel run down anymore, I'm not over training and Im making sure I eat enough daily to keep my body fueled. Again, change is good.

I hope that some of the things that I have learned can help others get through finding a routine that works for them! Don't give up, it will happen, I know it's not always easy but it will happen. Set a routine for you and baby so you can make sure you have time to workout. I purposely make sure Olivia takes her naps around my workout schedule so she can sleep while I work! Not every day is perfect and I end up wearing her during my workout, but thats ok! Do your best!

No comments:

Post a Comment