May 31, 2014

Whole 30 Reintroduction

I learned so much during this phase of my whole 30. Things that I thought never caused me problems were actually really hard on my body....

The first reintroduction I did was legumes... 


















I had my normal whole 30 approved breakfast but added some peanut butter on top of my sweet potato. About 30 mins later I felt like complete crap and looked about 6months pregnant with a peanut butter food baby! haha I used to eat peanut butter every day and not even think about why I was having gastro issues but now I know I have to be an almond butter girl versus a peanut butter girl! 
Later for dinner I had some black beans. I remember always getting an upset stomach after eating too much chipotle so I was convinced they were going to give me problems. I was totally wrong though... no bloating no nothing. I guess my body does well with black beans which makes me happy because they are SOOOO delicious! lol 



















I went back to my whole 30 routine for 2 days and then introduced non-gluten grains back in. 

For breakfast I had my oatmeal that I have missed so much. I had some slight bloating but no stomach upset. I thought I had no problem with oatmeal so I was surprised to have any sort of reaction to it. I decided oatmeal that I love so much will be turned into a treat breakfast so I don't cause myself any gastro problems. 
For lunch I had some white rice and it went awesome. No problems at all which I'm not surprised by at all. So yay for rice, I need some heavier carbs since I'm breastfeeding so I'm glad I found something that works for me! 
Lastly, for dinner I made up some quinoa. I love quinoa.... quinoa does not love me back though... I think of all the foods I tried this was my worst reaction. I looked even more pregnant then when I had peanut butter and my stomach was so cramped up from it, I went to bed so uncomfortable. NEVER AGAIN!! 
I also remember by the end of the day I was in a really cranky mood, I'm not sure if it was the day or if it was my body reacting to the change in my diet. Either way I remember being a big B word to my hubby all night and I didn't understand why! lol 

Again I went back to my whole 30 for 2 days and then had some dairy! I was so scared for this since Olivia seems to have a hard time with dairy... 

















For breakfast I had some yogurt, I was so excited for it but once I tasted it, I didn't even finish it. I ended up with a tiny bit of bloat but really overall no problems. It just didn't taste good to me so I don't think its something I'm going to add back in or have any time soon. I will stick to the almond milk yogurt which is simply delicious! 
Dinner, I had some cheese on top of my lettuce tacos for dinner. I had no problem at all. No bloating no nothing. I had some shredded organic cheese which didn't have any crazy ingredients and it was totally fine! I was so excited about this because I like being able to have some cheese here and there to add some flavor to things such as tacos! 
After dinner I had a tiny single serve coffee flavored gelato. Super simple ingredients, milk, egg yolk, sugar, coffee. I got a tiny bit of bloat from it but no other tummy troubles. After I finished my reintroduction phase I did have ice cream again, some ben and jerry's craziness, that made me bloat up like crazy and even my husband commented on how pregnant I looked! lol So I think if I want ice cream I have to keep it simple because the dairy seems to agree with me but the other crazy things they put into ice cream now a days does not! 
Also, when it comes to Olivia, I noticed that day and the day after I had dairy she had a lot more spit up, nothing crazy and she wasn't overly fussy or gassy so that was good, seeing that she grew out of her sensitivity a little! YAY! I did  notice personally I did get more of my acne back the days after having dairy. So for me, dairy is pretty much out the question until Olivia is a little older and my hormones balance to get rid of this postpartum acne business. ick. 

Then here we go on the home stretch! 2 more days of whole 30 and then I got to have some gluten. 

By this time I had family in town and it was memorial day weekend... I had fallen off track a little. Had wine one night and had some potato chips as well. So my body wasn't optimally cleaned out still like it should be but these are the reactions I got... 

For breakfast I had 2 pieces of Ezekiel bread, it was so crunchy and good and I had no problems with it at all. 
We went into DC for the rest of the day to enjoy the beginning of Memorial Day weekend and Rolling Thunder. We met up with some friends and I ended up having a few beers (Guinness to be exact). I didn't seem to have any problems with it and had a great night out with my hubby and friends. 

Most people have a really hard time with gluten but every time I have it I seem to do fine... I swear I have the weirdest body in the world sometimes. 
For example today I had a maple glaze donut and yes it was simply amazing because I have been craving one since I was still pregnant with Livy so I had one. I had no reaction to it at all. No bloating, no sugar rush, no anything. I guess I should feel lucky but I sure do find it weird.  

Overall I loved doing the whole 30 and I learned so much. I now know what I can eat and what I should stay away from. I decided that I will stick pretty close to the whole 30 just because I feel so good when I do it. 
Eating whole foods and giving my body what it needs is very important to me so I will keep doing it!  

Now it's time for more fun paleo/whole 30 and fitness posts! 
STAY TUNED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment